I hear, I see, I post: Dim Dim - The Hong Kong Pantry

Dim Dim - The Hong Kong Pantry

A nice looking simple cafe with a nice look selling Hong Kong (or more like Cantonese) cheap and usual fare. Do not expect pigeon or BBQ Pork Rice. 

Had the century congee/porridge (cooked from rice grains), steam rice flour rolls (chee chong fan) with BBQ pork and Ice Lemon Tea.

The congee is quite watery (quite different from texture in Hong Kong). Taste was dull and boring, but that is the way congee taste to me. It's not porridge, and so it's quite plain (as prepared intentionally). What intrigues me was the fried dough fritters. It was cut finely and fried till brown, and complement well with the congee. 

Portions of the pork (from pork ribs) were generous in servings, and it's the first time having found pork ribs and not the usual pork from the hind legs.

Steam rice rolls with BBQ Pork was quite a let down. The white portion (made of rice flour) was too thick to my liking. However, the sauce and condiments used in this dish is perfect. The fillings was also delicious.
My meal cost $11.20


Ice Lemon Tea
And as in Hong Kong cuisine, wash down the meal either with a glass of hot milk tea/ yuen yang or a glass of cold lemon tea. I prefer the latter. The tea was just nice for me, not being over bearing sweet with an excellent hint of lemon.

Overall, kudos to them using such nice utensils (especially for the drinks) but the food is much to be desired. For the same price, I prefer to visit Rock and Ash (just adjacent) knowing I can have much nicer food (though it's western).

Now, where on Singapore can I devour nice Hong Kong western-style food (like beef hotplate with fries and potatoes)??? The search still continues for the best Hong Kong food in Singapore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment