I hear, I see, I post: Les Miserables

Les Miserables




A musical based on the novel by the same name had now been adapted to a novel. As I’m sure most of us already heard of reviews about how nice and marvellous it is, I think I shall skip the review part and give my own take of why I think this movie is one of the nicest musical movie I’ve ever watch.

NB: The few musical movies I had watched include High School Musical, Phantom of the Opera (all of it), Mary Poppins and Hairspray. Perhaps I’ve watched more but didn’t realised it’s musical movie.

Les Miserables is based 80% of the 25th anniversary concert, with some lyrics changed. The opening act in the concert was slightly different (like a loaf of bread becomes a mouthful of bread in the movie). The tune is a tad different too. However, for other viewers who are not so picky will not really notice any major and significant changes.

One occasion which I applaud is the sense of notion, how the director shows us the movie. It would be idea if it’s shot in 3D or IMAX with the singing scene or the revolution. I’m sure that will be absolutely amazing. With the brand Les Miserables being such prestigious, the movie is shot as though we are watching the live musical, with the script following rigorously accordingly to the stage performance. This display minimal creativity on the part of the director. Of course, I think it’s difficult to be different (comparing to Phantom).

Camera crew and editing work seemed quite poorly done. But for viewers who had watched the musical live on stage, I’m sure that is to be expected. So be disappointed if you have not watch the stageplay before and is expecting it to be like Phantom. But surely, for those who knew the story, watched the stageplay, you’re in for a real treat. I watched it twice and am going to watch it again if possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment